Downsizing (2017)

You know I apply the Bechdel Test very strictly. Otherwise I wouldn't have 600 Bechdel-passers on my 3400 films list (https://imdb.to/2L5HBS2), I would have far fewer passers. Even if the named women speak to each other with three words, and the words break each other down, the film passes. 

Today I will reach a new low - two named women speaking to each other about something other than a man... with a man present and also conversing, and who gets the bulk of the attention from both women. 

Other plus points of the film are - the beauty cult is ignored, and the lead female character is not white, and she also has a disability. And, cherry-ily, she doesn't speak in modulated tones. 

Although the above ploy could be there to distract us because the beauty-cult-undermined can also be part of the new wave of films that portray women as harpies and the men as whipped. Which this film does. To its credit, it does make the woman into a Jesusy character, but it makes the man her donkey. I guess if They make a movie, their misogyny is inevitable. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of 'Feminism's Dependency Trap' on Quillette

Bus tickets