#Epiphany ~ Self-reliance vs Interdependence

You know one of my jobs is I teach ordinary people to work on computers, right?

For many years, people have said to me, why don't you do it for yourself? You don't need your boss, you can do this, why let him take a cut?

And I don't see it like that. He's a drummer, warm, personable, loyal, reliable. He also provides services to me as my manager. He deals with the client, sets up the online meetings. He makes sure the payments happen from the client and to me.

And... here is the epiphany about interdependence - he provides momentum. Doing things alone is much more difficult. Interdependence means he comes to me for stuff, I go to him for stuff, he can jump in when he has time, I can jump in when I have time. And when I jump in I learn what he knows to pass that on, and then I have another skill. And he comes to me. He doesn't think he can do it all, and so I am responsible to him and him to me. That is impetus. That is momentum.

I don't want to be splitting my attention up between thousands of things, be alone during the bad times, and not feel like someone has my back. There are days when life happens and makes getting out of bed difficult. I get out of bed because he is there and needs me to. I can do it alone, but I can't bring what he brings to the situation. I am not all of those things that he is and there's no time in the day to do all the things we could do as two.

Yes, he is a drummer and a biker and tootles around much of the time (I think)(he makes everything look like he's having a breezy day), but in terms of whether we should be 50-50, the value of what he brings and the value of what I bring are 'equal' and has relative balance. He is there. Even if he did nothing more than send out three emails a day, his mere presence is valuable because of how well we work together, that I have a partner working towards something with me, and that I am not doing it all alone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review of 'Feminism's Dependency Trap' on Quillette

Bus tickets